Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What is agility?

Mani and I just got back from another bike ride. I would like to go on at least one per day. This time we went a different way so we could go to this large field and I could take Mani off his leash to run around. While we were there everyone was commenting on how cute Mani is. And while we were riding the bike they were saying “Look at the cute dog running next to the bike!” or “Poor dog!” {head shake}.

Just as we were about to get on the bike and leave a lady walking a Shih Tzu asked, “Is that a Papillon?” I jumped up and replied, "Yes." I was surprised because it is rare that people guess the correct breed. They all think he is some kind of weird Chihuahua mix or something. One person even asked if he was a Butterfly Pom.

Anyway, the lady with the Shih Tzu had just come back from the groomer. While on their walk the freshly groomed Shih Tzu plopped down directly into a large mud puddle. So when the two dogs were playing, he got Mani very muddy.

We started talking about how Papillons have such high energy levels; how they can take anything or nothing. Then I mentioned that I was trying to build his muscles and stamina for agility. She then stopped and looked a little puzzled and asked, “What is agility?” I was a little stunned. Not because someone does not know what agility is, but because I did not know what to say. Ever since I started trying to get into agility, with and without a dog, I was surrounded by people who knew what it was, even a little. I have never been asked what agility is. I hate saying this because I don’t know real statistics but, I guess most of the people in the US know, even by a little, know what agility is. Whenever I mention it, people seem to know what I am talking about. I need to think of something to say in case this happens again. I don’t want to look stupid when I am training my dog in a sport and I can’t even explain it!

No comments: