Saturday, July 18, 2009

Evil Burs

Back from Savannah. We got back Thursday, but we have been so busy, I haven’t had any time to write. Mani is still really good. On our last day in Savannah we went to Tybee Island to relax on the beach and do some sightseeing. We went up to the lighthouse while my sister stayed down and watched the dog. She let him run around and play in the tall grass, thinking nothing of it. Mani really enjoyed running around in the grass.

When we got back in the car, I found this awful, prickly, spiny (and very sharp) bur on him. My fingers were bleeding from pulling it out. I thought he had only one bur on him, so I didn't check for others.

We went to the beach after seeing the Lighthouse. Since dogs were not allowed on the beach (bummer) due to nesting turtles, half of us went to the dog park while the others stayed on the beach. Mani normally loves the dog park and loves playing with other dogs. But when we got to the park, he did not want to play. I soon noticed that he was limping. Immediately I grabbed him to see what the problem was. It was more of those evil burs that had embedded themselves into his foot and were inside of his paw pads. Just touching them made him scream.

I started carefully pulling them out with some tweezers, blood was everywhere. He had three in one foot and two in another and one in the last. When I pulled them out, they all bled. They were that deep. My mom poured bottled water over the paws as I pulled the burs out. It was horrible. He hated it. After cleaning it for about 20min, I carried him to the car and put him on a clean towel, he went right to sleep. I did not let him walk anywhere the rest of the day. Did not want anything to get infected.

Now I am glad he was not allowed on the beach because all the sand would have shoved the burs deeper and possibly gotten it infected.

He is fine now. Those were some evil burs. They left my fingers bloody from pulling them out. For the past two days I have been checking him for more; haven’t found any. Hopefully, that was the end of those evil burs!

No comments: