Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mani Agility

I have not blogged in a while. Monday I spent the night at my agility trainers house, so that I could go with her to her agility class. It was fun, and then afterwards we stayed and ran Mani around the course. He is doing so well. He stunned me that night. Took me completely off guard. There were two other dogs in the fence in area with us. A Bichon Frise and a Yorkshire Terrier. They both were doing agility. Once I got some food in my hands he was so focus. He came when I called him off the other dogs, he stayed with me, and he was paying attention to me and listening to me. He is not usually like that AT ALL! Especially when there are other dogs around. We did a few courses. He did great. He got tired very fast because the night before he was playing at a friends house with their dog ‘till 2am. Then all that day he had been in a house full of dogs, and playing with them like a mad-man. He did great otherwise! Even with all that he had been doing, he still wanted to play with a few toys when we got back to the house.

On Tuesday night we went to another class, this one she was teaching. I ran in the class with everybody. He was great. On our first run (we were the first ones to run, Mani jumps 12” everybody else jumped higher) Mani was distracted because he wanted to see all of the people and especially dogs who were waiting around the ring. He did not like the start line because too many dogs and people, he could not control his urges. On our third attempt at starting the course he listened to me and left it alone then we were off. He did the course perfectly, well almost. Except for his weave poles, a knocked bar on a long jump, and a few handler errors, we did great. He was focused and listening the rest of the night.

He is really becoming a star. After only five lessons, he is just about ready to compete. We will be competing at a trial on August 15 and 16. I can’t wait. It is a TDAA trial.

Even though we are going to start competing (mostly because he is old enough now) there are still a lot of things we really need to work on. His weaves are accurate but very slow. In the trial, beginner level there are no weaves. If all goes well, we may even get the High In Trial ribbon. Hehe! We are running 5 standard runs and 1 game. 3 runs each day. 6 runs in all. I really hope we do well.

Sorry I have no video. We are going to an agility run thru this Saturday, maybe I can get someone to film me there. Hope Mani does well!

I will post our time at the park with Mani, lots of pictures.

No comments: