Friday, November 20, 2009

Obedience!

I have started an apprentice program at a dog training facility here in GA. So I have been training Mani more obedience than agility. Well we have a TDAA trial coming up in a week. Our very first 3-day trial ever. My plan was to start exercising him more often, that was a bust! I got very busy and our normal three walks a day turned into just a half a walk to a grassy area then the dogs play off-leash. So instead of increasing his exercise it decreased. Bummer! Although he does not seem to mind!



Or maybe he is just taking all of his anger out on Jillian!



Instead of exercise I have been trying to mentally stimulate him, in the hopes that he will be able to better handle of a long day of trialing. So I have been doing more obedience. We have started from the beginning because ever since we started agility I have stopped all obedience. I did not realize how bad he had gotten with everything, even his tricks!, till we started again. It is like I never trained him anything. He just looks at me with those eyes and that face, how can I be mad!


I started with just stays the one thing I know he can do. It was also good for Jillian to learn too. Though she does not quite understand the point. *Yawn*



They much prefer the release, because they can run away from me and no more stays! yay!



So for Mani we are again working on recalls. His is pretty much non-existent! But he does love a photo-op!


Then we work on focusing, a bit confusing for some dogs. For agility he is supposed to watch and follow my hands (not that he does) for obedience he is supposed to watch my face. He is just so eager.



So I just have one question, does anyone else's dogs argue?





2 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Reagan is a back talker.

Achieve1dream said...

I'm glad I found your blog! Mani is so darn cute!!!